Mission of the Month and Parish Council update
Mission Update – CMS
In September, Mission of the Month giving is directed to CMS (Church Missionary Society). We continue to support these three wonderful sets of CMS link missionaries:
- Catherine Read, returning from student ministry in Ireland;
- Mal and Charissa Forrest in church pastoral work, Jordan;
- D & L, development work with students, East Asia.
Annual Thanksgiving Day
Towards the end of September as “St Michael’s Day” comes around, it is our tradition at church to invite you all to contribute a one-off annual gift of thanksgiving in addition to your regular support of the gospel ministry at St Michael’s. Every cent of our Annual Thanksgiving Day proceeds goes to ministries outside the parish; none is spent on ourselves. Are you thankful for how God has blessed you here? We’d love you to consider giving a generous gift.
The Annual Thanksgiving Day projects were agreed as follows:
- Gifts to ministry training students from the parish now at theological college: Brian Barker & Seth F. (Moore), Bryony Hamilton (SMBC) & Josh Hayward (Youthworks).
- Diocese of North West Australia: support for a young family being trained for ministry in Shark Bay by Bishop Gary Nelson as part of the geographically largest, but most remote and sparsely populated Anglican Diocese anywhere in the world.
- Anglican Aid ‘Miracle School’, Lahore Pakistan, providing free education to poverty stricken children forced to work for a pittance in hot brick kilns. Director Angela Michael has spoken at WOW (Women on Wednesday) and Lyndal Cook’s parents have previously visited and served there first hand on a short term basis.
- Anglican Parish of St Clair, Western Sydney, where Scott Blackwell serves (a former assistant from St Michael’s). PC plans to send a gift this year and next to help the appointment of a much needed youth minister in this working class suburb.
- (We are still exploring a project helping refugees in Jordan via the Forrests.)
Parish Council Update from July’s meeting by Samantha Wearing
- Lauren Russell – Communications Director – presented her report to Parish Council highlighting tasks completed since starting in February. These included a communications survey (102 responses), social media updates and guide for staff, marketing and a digital church calendar. She is currently addressing branding and logos, and designing a Welcome Pack and newsletter.
- Consumption of Alcohol Policy: After feedback of changes suggested in both more and less strict directions, the Policy stands in its form as presented at the 2016 AGM.
- Projects for the Annual Thanksgiving Day were discussed, and a short list was determined. (There may be a late addition.)
- Inspired by a parishioner’s concern, staff have brainstormed ideas for a letter-boxing strategy to raise awareness of our church with the many new Wollongong apartments.
- St Michael’s leadership is still actively considering a church planting options, noting especially the significant growth with people from many nations at 10am on Sundays.
- Renovations are almost finished at 40A Mangerton Rd, with a potential working bee to groom the garden before Spring.