Mission Update ~ 2017 Mission of the Month Allocations
Our Mission of the Month allocations for 2017 cover both local and international, direct missionary & teaching work and aid & development, ministry training & Bible literacy:
- January Church Missionary Society (CMS)
- February Anglicare
- March Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students (for ECU @ UOW)
- April Moore College, & Anglican Aid (Overseas Ministry Fund)
- May Tim & Siew Mun Nicholls (with Equip Malaysia)
- June Church Missionary Society
- July Bible Society, & Scripture Union
- August Wollongong Combined Churches Education Board (WCCEB)
- September Church Missionary Society
- October Regional Indigenous Ministries (Macarthur & Shoalhaven)
- November Anglican Youthworks
- December Church Missionary Society
Anything marked “Mission” via EFT giving is directed to the Mission of that Month. In 2017, if you use the duplex envelopes for mission giving, your offertory will go by default to Mission of the Month. (Parish Council sometimes tops this up from general income.)
Parish Council also has a policy of only promoting those Christian missions and charities, adopted as a Mission of the Month. The Parish Council also enables an annual opportunity to support a few other projects via the one-off annual Thanksgiving Day.
Apart from that – as a parish – we do not promote other missions or charities. The reason is not that other organisations are unworthy. Just that we need to focus giving, prayers, and promotional energy on a limited number of groups, otherwise efforts become too diluted.
Parish Council Update from December’s meeting via Colin Moodie
- Sandy hosted the year’s final Parish Council meeting at his home… Some key points:
- The meeting opened with a Bible reading (1 Corinthians 2:6-16) and prayer.
- Our guest, Joe Radkovic, reported on the exciting progress towards starting a new ‘easy English’ service and PC looks forward to seeing plans detailed in the near future.
- A host of events were praised including Women’s ‘Gift of Love’ market event, Kids Club Christmas craft and celebrations, Mini-Mikes wrap up, SRE assemblies, EFL Christmas Dinner, the Ministry Expo and Boot Camp (still in progress).
- The two Ordinances had been approved by Synod and immediate plans made to complete the Cemetery transfer, lease the Mangerton residence, and negotiate rent review with UoW on the MarketView property.
- Conservation works on cathedral roof were completed, some lights replaced, the new sound desk installed, and work on hall stage to happen in next week.
- Our finances continue the positive trend and are back up to budget.
- Annual mission of the month plan was agreed (as reported above).
- And it was warmly resolved to establish a partnership link with S and K as CMS Missionaries.
- The meeting closed in prayer and the next meeting will be in February 2017.