Mission Update – CMS
Mission Update – CMS
In June, Mission of the Month giving is directed to CMS – the Church Missionary Society. Through CMS, we continue to support some wonderful link missionaries:
- Mal and Charissa Forrest in church pastoral work, Jordan;
- D & L, development work with students, East Asia.
And we are entering a partnership with S & K who are candidates for missionary work by CMS. They will soon complete their cross cultural training at St Andrew’s Hall in Melbourne, and expect to work with an unreached people group somewhere in Asia. And many of us pray for other missionaries we know in the CMS family. (You will note that sometimes we do not use surnames or identify countries of service for security reasons.)
In June, we want to encourage church members strengthen our CMS partnership. In particular, for those who haven’t yet connected with our link missionaries, would you consider beginning a lasting partnership with them by:
- beginning to receive missionaries’ prayer letters and join in their gospel ministry in prayer (Philippians 1:19, Colossians 4:3-4), and
- beginning a small, regular financial commitment to their ministry that will help them grow a lifelong concern for the work of the gospel, locally and globally.
Look out for the brochure that will invite you to select either or both options.
Parish Council Update – May
- As always, we began with member bringing a Bible reading (Nehemiah 4) and leading in prayer.
- Our Safe Ministry Rep, Mia David, made her annual report to Parish Council, noting 150+ members have been cleared via Working With Children Checks for various ministries to those under 18. Of course, there is also initial Safe Ministry Training and subsequent three-yearly refreshers that must also be done. She also raised the broader issue of safety in the car-park, noting occasionally speeders and the way people park and go off elsewhere in the CBD, impeding guests and members of the church here.
- We were encouraged by the strong launch of 11am Easy English church, and the cooperative ways 8am and 9:30am have adjusted and taken new opportunities.
- We received advance notice of a region wide ‘Jesus Is ____.’ Mission with assistance from Moore College teams for March 2018.
- We expect S & K to visit our parish early in Term 3 re. their work with CMS.
- We discussed matters surrounding the Understanding Islam seminar.
- Weddings fees for wedding yet to be booked in 2018 and beyond were increased by $100 for cost recovery, there having been no increase since 2014.
- We agreed to the purchase of a dishwasher for 40A Mangerton Rd.
- We altered our ‘business rules’ so that we would expect to receive notice of new business by the weekend before our meeting, rather than just on the day, to aid volunteer members with proper time to read and reflect.