AUGUST: Mission and Parish Council Update
Mission Update – CMS
In September, Mission of the Month giving is directed towards the Church Missionary Society. And haven’t we been blessed by the visit of S & K, with little J, over these last three weeks. What clarity and courage of Christian conviction!
You may be wondering why I am referring to them only by their initials. It’s for security reasons, because their destination somewhere in gospel-zero Buddhist Asia is sensitive both religiously and politically. So we will not ever mention their destination in public. When speaking of or praying for them at church, we can use their first names only. And in written publications, we will only use their initials.
Don’t forget to grab one of their postcards, sign up to receive their prayer points by email, and consider beginning regular financial support via CMS. Even $10/month helps.
Parish Council Update – August
- As always, we start with a member’s Bible reading (Psalm 82) and prayer.
- Lauren Russell visited with a comprehensive report on her work as p/t Communications Director. We resolved to spend some money on document holders to keep the connections cards tidy and to trial an iPad kiosk (with a donated iPad).
- We noted Maria Kerr’s resignation, resolved to give a small gift on behalf of the Parish, and noted that Wardens and Sandy are reviewing parish admin needs.
- Sandy reported on his 2 weeks leave drafting domestic violence policy and guidelines and provided advice upon billable hours to be charged to the diocese.
- He also reported that he expected to give a public lecture on the marriage plebiscite.
- Parish Council approved some roof and gutter works on the Georgina Ave residence.
- Luke Thompson reported on encouraging discussions with heritage architects regarding updating our Cathedral Conservation Management Plan, and also the possibility of developing a Hall Conservation and Development Plan.
Our annual Thanksgiving appeal leads up to St Michael’s Day (traditionally 29 Sept). In the month leading up, we receive an extra thanksgiving offering where every cent goes to Christian ministry and charitable initiatives outside the parish. The idea is that as we reflect on how generous God has been to us, we share our material blessings with others.
Parish Council has adopted the following projects for support in the 2017 appeal:
- Gifts of $900 to ministry students S (& K), Bryony Hamilton, Brian Barker, Josh Hayward and Cameron Mason (totalling $4500);
- 200th anniversary gift of $1000 to Bible Society for indigenous Bible translation work;
- 150th anniversary gift of $1000 to Scripture Union for ‘beach mission’ work in NSW;
- Gift of $1500 towards the Anglican Parish of St Clair for its youth minister (2nd year);
- Gift of $2000 towards the Salvation Army’s Illawarra Women’s Refuge;
With the balance of funds raised to be divided equally between:
- New Churches for New Communities: building appeal for churches in new ‘greenfields’ areas such as south western Sydney, and
- Adjumani refugee camp appeal through Anglican Aid supporting refugees in Northern Uganda from South Sudan (where Elizabeth Lual has many family connections)